Monday, December 5, 2016

Nocturne Star Quilt Top

As soon as the pressure of finishing the haunted house season was over (that is, Thanksgiving weekend), I cast around for some quilt projects I could sew on. I was done all the Farm Girl Vintage blocks and I felt up to pulling out the machine.

I thought of the squares for my Nocturne Star quilt. I laid them out in early June:
I changed the layout slightly after this picture, but that was basically it. I wasn't sure what I would find when I opened the box--I wasn't looking forward to laying them out again trying to match what I had before.

And lo and behold, before taking the blocks off the wall, I labeled them so I would know how they went together!! I was so grateful to June Christina for doing that for me!!

I sewed all the seams in one direction without cutting the thread in between blocks.
See the orange sticker? They didn't stay on very well when
I started moving the quilt around, but they stayed on long
enough for me to be able to put the blocks together.
Not only are all the blocks held in position to sew the seams in the other direction, but you can also examine the quilt top before you sew them. I laid it out on my bed to check for misplaced or rotated blocks.
Vertical seams are sewn. Horizontal seams still
need to be sewn.
I had the added bonus of having my sister visit the same day so she could see the quilt in progress. I didn't find any errors, so I went ahead and sewed the rest of the seams. As I recall, I had them done by Friday evening of Thanksgiving weekend.

Then I took out the extra strips from the top and others I cut to use in the border. I sorted them by value (light/dark) and then sewed them end to end in strips long enough to fit the quilt edge.
I started with the lightest colours to match the background of the quilt center and then worked darker toward the outside. When I was done,  I stepped back and it looked just like I pictured it! Happy success.

Here is the entire top:
I am hoping to quilt it in early 2017. Before then I have to come up with a back. I'll look through the leftovers and see what's there.

My plan is to take it to a local shop that I found out has a long arm machine you can rent time on. It would be so exciting to get it quilted in an afternoon!!! :)

The top is 92"x100" and Troy will be happy to finally have a blanket that is wide enough to go over the sides of the mattress! (We're making do right now.)

The last few people to whom I showed the quilt (or pictures of) asked me what I was making it for. I.e., who was I giving it to? Um, me. In my head I was thinking, "Back off from the quilt...it's mine and you can't have it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

  • Retreat Project - My focus in 2024 has been to make progress with quilts that I've had on my 'to do' list for years. I had planned to work on two of those quilts at the Ja...
    9 hours ago
  • One more fabric............ - I found another Kaffe print in the same red/orange as the button fabric for a possible choice for binding. I have to check all around the edge and make ...
    9 hours ago
  • Singularity - It's been quite a few years since The Midnight Quilt Show ended, and to this day I still miss it. It was always a delight watching Angela Walters every wee...
    1 day ago
  • Colorful! - I had a few more quilts to share but I guess I didn't get them photographed. I have been so busy lately; I don't always get everything done by the end o...
    1 day ago
  • Twenty - There’s quiet music playing in the kitchen. I’ve got a cup of tea and it’s snowing. My sweater knitting is calling me, but the house is a mess so really I ...
    3 months ago
  • More finished quilts for Covered in Love - Guest blogging here and here.
    1 year ago
  • A Beekeeper's Cushion - There was something about when the pandemic first began that put me in a “make due and mend” mindset. Maybe it was the uncertainty of what was going to h...
    3 years ago
  • Little Window Mitts - These mittens were inspired by the colourful glowing lights of midwinter’s night. Stained glass windows, cottage windows, fairy lights… any bright light th...
    4 years ago
  • I Kicked My Sandwich - I was hungry for pizza, but there wasn’t time. This was three days ago, when I was connecting in St. Louis on my way to Baltimore. I know the St. Louis...
    6 years ago

I Say! or at least I did once...