Friday, August 3, 2012

Show and Tell: Quilts at the Fair

Ready to see what else was at the fair? I have a few things I can show you.

I think in general there were fewer quilts this year. It would have been a good year to put in one of my own! But it didn't work out. Oh well...

This was a popular one made from old calendars: (You can click on any picture to see a larger version.)
It was tied to the backing at the corners and not quilted. I don't think it had anything for batting. I think that technically makes it a coverlet, but I'm not positive about that.

You can see this one got a grand champion ribbon:
It's a lovely simple pattern with nine patches on point.

And for the first year that I have noticed, a tshirt quilt made it to the fair:
This one is particularly ambitious with a lot of shirts included. I have one in mind that I would like to have done by next summer. I hear they are a pain to do. We'll see.

Here are some cheerful penguins:
It's a cute idea, but a little busy for me.

This is a very lovely design, and could be a very nice "charm" quilt (where no fabric is used more than once):
I couldn't tell if this was a magic piecing method or applique. If anyone recognizes it, let me know, would you? Thanks.

I thought this was a nice patriotic quilt:
Even though the red, white and blue theme can get overbearing awfully quick, they always catch my eye. I like this one.

A nice rooster quilt--fussy cut blocks with log cabin borders:
And a smaller wall hanging to match the larger wall hanging (I guess):
The next one is a cute idea for a baby or child quilt. They've added a ribbon ruffle into every seam. Very sweet.
For Julie, I have to show the crayon art that came in:
There were two of them, but this one got a 3rd place ribbon. I thought it was a rather simple one after what Julie showed us she could do. But then I saw this one in the 4-H section:
They knew what they were doing!

They had a lot of furniture at this year's fair:
and you can't miss the grill someone entered. Fabulous.

One more for my mom:
This lovely rooster painted with toothpicks.

Of course, there was a lot more to see. It's always fun to see what people are doing and making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...