Saturday, May 7, 2016

Block 19: Farmhouse (or How Sisters can be Full of Deceit)

Ready for another block? It's a big one this week:
Literally big because it is one of my 12" blocks. And also "big" because there were quite a few pieces and sub-units to put together. I didn't want to even think about doing this in the 6" size!

I chose fabrics with lines on them for the windows. I thought they sort of looked like sunstreaks on the windows.
Of course, I chose the fabrics for the entire block with care, but I wasn't really sure how it was going to come together. When it was done and I held it back for a better look, I was pleased that it has a pretty low-contrast look. I'm not crazy about the green fabric on the bottom but if it continues to bother me, I can fairly easily switch it out later. (I have a feeling I won't.) But I did buy a new fat quarter of green fabric so I won't have to use it again if I don't want to!

The only strong contrasting fabric is the chimneys:
I thought about using a softer colour, but I was too enamoured with the little random squares looking a bit like bricks on the chimney! :)

Here is a look at all the blocks done so far in a mock layout:
Things are starting to fill in!
________________
Kim had sent me a message that her block was done, and I hadn't even started mine! I had some stuff going on that week so I let her know that it may be a little bit. But then on Friday evening at 10:00, I looked at the clock and said, "Ok, you have one hour. Let's see what you can do." So I worked on it for one hour...and then just a little bit more, and boom! I had my block done!

So I was able to Skype with Kim the next day and we could share our blocks with each other. Kim got a mischievous little grin on her face and showed me this:
What? That's not the same block! No, it is not. She had redesigned the farm house block to look like the farm house we grew up in! What a little sneak! It's a great block, though, and she was proud of it, as she should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

  • Retreat Project - My focus in 2024 has been to make progress with quilts that I've had on my 'to do' list for years. I had planned to work on two of those quilts at the Ja...
    20 hours ago
  • One more fabric............ - I found another Kaffe print in the same red/orange as the button fabric for a possible choice for binding. I have to check all around the edge and make ...
    21 hours ago
  • Singularity - It's been quite a few years since The Midnight Quilt Show ended, and to this day I still miss it. It was always a delight watching Angela Walters every wee...
    1 day ago
  • Colorful! - I had a few more quilts to share but I guess I didn't get them photographed. I have been so busy lately; I don't always get everything done by the end o...
    2 days ago
  • Twenty - There’s quiet music playing in the kitchen. I’ve got a cup of tea and it’s snowing. My sweater knitting is calling me, but the house is a mess so really I ...
    3 months ago
  • More finished quilts for Covered in Love - Guest blogging here and here.
    1 year ago
  • A Beekeeper's Cushion - There was something about when the pandemic first began that put me in a “make due and mend” mindset. Maybe it was the uncertainty of what was going to h...
    3 years ago
  • Little Window Mitts - These mittens were inspired by the colourful glowing lights of midwinter’s night. Stained glass windows, cottage windows, fairy lights… any bright light th...
    4 years ago
  • I Kicked My Sandwich - I was hungry for pizza, but there wasn’t time. This was three days ago, when I was connecting in St. Louis on my way to Baltimore. I know the St. Louis...
    6 years ago

I Say! or at least I did once...