Sunday, January 24, 2010

Laying the Groundwork

Look what has arrived! Some lovely Dale of Norway "Falk" (superwash wool). The grey is just what I wanted. (I picked it from a one inch tassel of four strands. It's a little hard to tell from that what it will look like in bulk so I'm relieved I like it.) What I like is that it's not as heavy or solid as straight black would be, but dark enough to give the contrast you need for colourwork.

The wool is for my Whistler sweater, of course.
Less than three weeks until the great cast on for the Ravelympics!

I have started swatching, hoping to have everything set to go the moment the opening ceremonies start.
I've found out that I don't have the needles I need. For one thing, this sweater is knit on much smaller needles than I expected and I just don't have many straights in those sizes.

I'm aiming for 24 stitches to 4 inches. The bottom section is 26 sts/4". The next is the right gauge but it's done continental style (obviously I'm a little looser continental) and it's much less even. So I tried two different bigger needles, but both of those came out 23 stitches to 4". Not there yet...

A shopping trip is in order!

2 comments:

  1. Christina, you don't have to justify a shopping trip to any of us. We're right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...