But then I was tired of it, and there was a spot on the cuff I couldn't wash out. And in a fit of decisiveness, I took it downstairs, sat on my couch and ripped the sweater apart. In a very organized way, of course.
I got 230 grams of very lightweight 40% merino/30% viscose/20% angora/10% cashmere. When I entered the yarn in my Ravelry stash, I discovered I had unraveled the same sweater in pink! (You can see a picture in this post.)
I got a hankering to knit socks out of this yarn so I decided to ply it. In order to ply it, I decided to twist it. You twist in one direction and then ply in the other. Then the yarn wants to stay put. You could just ply it and block it, but I didn't want to in this case.
Here is one sleeve twisted on the spindle next to the yarn from the other sleeve:
Once the yarn was all twisted, I was eager to ply it. Not only was it the final step, it also would go a lot easier and quicker than the first step! But I had to do some other stuff, get ready for a trip, etc., and my spindle sat on my table for a couple days.
But finally I had a few minutes. I put the spindle in my "super fancy" lazy Kate (yup, that's what they're called):
|Constrained by the holes in the side of the box, the spindle|
can spin freely, making it easy to unwind.
I tried out a double strand, triple strand and quadruple strand and decided that the triple strand gave the thickness I wanted. That meant chain plying (aka Navaho plying). It's basically a long crochet chain done with your fingers while you ply.
When my fingers got sore from knitting socks during the drive, I pulled out the ball of yarn and my spindle, and got to plying.
With just a little more time once I got to my destination, I had the whole ball done.