|Two of my favourite patterns--zig zag and|
argyle--in duct tape. A gift from my sister!
It look a while to get pictures, however, because it has been far too hot to have them on even for a short photo shoot!!
Now what to write about these socks? They took some time to whip into shape. As you may recall, I had to rip out the first start because they were too large. I went down a needle size (to 2mm/0s) and then broken one of my wooden Harmony dpns while executing one of the double decreases in the pattern. That gave me the excuse to buy my first Addi Turbo dpns and I love them!
|I like to fold the socks so you can see how the toe and|
heel are really the same shape (top sock). It also kind of
reminds me of a boat.
I actually ran out of yarn on the second sock. I thought I had a good plan: I had two skeins of the green/orange (MC-main colour) and one skein of the grey/brown/red (CC-contrast colour). So obviously, I could use up one ball of the MC per sock and half of the CC.
I used the MC for the toes and heels and set up the stripe pattern with 8 rows of MC and 4 rows of CC. I figured that would make sure that I used more of the first. Then to even out the toes and heels a bit, I used only the CC on the ribbing.
Well, apparently it wasn't. I ran out of the MC one row early, which means my two skeins didn't have the same yardage! I made up for that by doing the row in the CC. That's not a big deal since I was about the change to that colour for the ribbing anyway.
Then I ran out of the CC six rows short. This tells me that my skein perhaps didn't weigh what it said it weighed. Not much I could do about that! (Although I did splice on the long end I had from where I joined the CC on the first sock!) So my one sock is six rows shorter than the first sock. If I were a real stickler, I could shorten the first sock by six rows, but I'm not going to.
And I guess all this is to say that even though I call this the "Jaywalker" pattern, I only took from the pattern how she did the zig zag design and made the rest up as I went along. First off, I changed them to toe-up and then used my favourite toe (Sherman), my favourite heel (Sherman)--though heavily modified in this case, adapted the design up the leg to adjust for fit, and topped it with lots of 1x1 rib on top. (I think she used very little 2x2 rib, but that will never hold up a sock!)
Now I've packed them away for winter because these are going to be some warm socks!