Friday, October 9, 2009

Re-Finishing My Embellished Bag

So back in May I wrote about this "fancy" plarn bag I made. I was pretty happy with the little tote, but not long after finishing it I took that field trip to Chicago and found some nice plastic hoop handles at Soutache.

The handles struck me as just the thing to elevate this little tote from "homemade" to "hand crafted" (if you know what I mean).

I've had the handles sitting around since then, moving them from pile to pile. When I realized last night that I had the whole evening to craft if I wanted, I thought of this project which had been waiting so patiently for so long and thought, "This is it. The time is now."

And so....
First thing: take out the old handles. I found the end and carefully picked out the final knots and raveled the top few rows of the bag. Yes, I could have cut. But--do I have to say it again?--I am a purist and would rather pull it all out and reuse the plarn.

And I did. I crocheted a new top to the bag, this time leaving room for the handles to nest in the final three rows.
(The pink yarn is marking the centre; it won't stay there.)

Setting the handle into place,
I threaded a long string of plarn onto a big needle,
and sewed the hoop into place.
After the hoop was sewn into place, I then did a backstitch along the edge of the hoop stitching. I'm not sure why, it just seemed the thing to do at the time. And I think it did give a more finished edge.

I can now give you the new Embellished Better Plastic Bag:
I see none of the greens match, but that makes it more charming, right?

2 comments:

  1. That's kind of cool. I know you've taught classes on this, but do you think it can be done in knit with larger needles? I don't know how to crochet very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some people do knit with plarn (and yes, on bigger needles). I tried it once, found it very awkward and then broke my wooden needle. :( So that was the end of that.

    Feel free to try for yourself...go forth and experiment! -christina

    ReplyDelete

Recently

May I suggest?

  • Happy Easter! - Crooked Cobblestones 4 - Cross
    23 hours ago
  • egg hunt - Get ready for my 3rd Annual Easter Egg Hunt!  This year is a little different, but I think it's more fun, because everyone can win at least a free pattern w...
    1 day ago
  • Miniature Entry: On the Loss of a Great Writer - I wish I had something poetic to say about the wonderful Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, who has just died; but I don't. Instead, I can tell you that in my freshm...
    3 days ago
  • Boy does it have a lot of buttons - I spent this last weekend at Port Ludlow, hosting and teaching at the Strung Along April retreat, but you all know that – and I don’t want to go on about i...
    3 days ago
  • The Lie and the Truth About Marriage - The Way We’re Told It Goes: Meet The One Fall In BUTTERFLY Love, Have all the Feelings Date, Accept Proposal Have a Wedding: AKA YOU’VE CROSSED THE FINISH ...
    3 days ago
  • My New Class is Live - My new class on Craftsy is live today. Use this link to get $10 off! It's all about the quilting with the walking foot. I'd had fun filming it and I hop...
    5 days ago
  • Backstrap Weaving – Scattered Drops in the Ocean - Sometimes I am fooled into thinking that just because I am in several online weaving groups, whose forums I read, contribute to, or simply lurk in on a fai...
    6 days ago
  • Nothing to Sneeze At - 14 April 2014 - This week, forensic linguists use what they know about speech and writing to testify in courtrooms. And get out your hankies! Martha and Grant are talkin...
    1 week ago
  • Basic Baby Cardigan - When I received this beautiful yarn in the mail, it was love at first sight. I don't normally choose blue, but I am currently so drawn to this dusky gray...
    1 week ago
  • Episode 121 – The Fish Will Protect Your Virtue - In this episode, Deboarah talks about her recent visit to Ontario and her Ravellenic projects, and Melanie visits (once again) with the team at Anzula Yarn...
    1 week ago
  • Live United Halter Top - As most of you know, late last year I made a big career change from being the Grants Manager at the SC Arts Commission, to working in Community Impact at U...
    1 week ago
  • Wee Levenwick - . Every once in a while, a design comes along that becomes an instant classic. It’s the perfect combination of wearability and knit-ability: both effortles...
    2 weeks ago
  • Saranac - My new pattern, Saranac is a crescent shaped shawl that is perfect for handspun or hand-dyed yarns. The construction -- with a long, peaked border that is wo...
    2 weeks ago
  • Finished! - I finished a fairly quick crochet cardigan for myself last night. There are things I like about it and things that are "okay". My initial intention was t...
    3 weeks ago
  • A faster, easier way to tink - Unraveling, tinking, ripping-out, frogging*: these are all names for un-knitting already-knit fabric, and there is a range of methods for doing it, from sl...
    3 weeks ago
  • Saturday Sketches - The need to doodle snuck up on me this week. I felt like drawing while at work and started sketching on yellow post-its every now and then, ridiculous nons...
    4 weeks ago
  • お知らせ&セルブーのミトン - **お知らせ**以前ちらっと予告しました、花模様の編み込みミトン&帽子、そしてモヘアのスヌードのキットが神戸のステキな毛糸屋さんFynさんよりリリースされました!企画を頂いてから今日まで、Fynさんの心のこもったサポートを受けつつ、少しずつ形にしていきました。もしよかったらチェックしてみてくださいね。 キットに...
    1 month ago
  • Six-Mammal Family - Since buying our house in May, we've accumulated some new family members. In fact, our family has grown 50 percent, from a total of four mammals to the new...
    2 months ago
  • Some Links - I've been wanting to blog for a long time but circumstances have conspired against me. First DH was home a lot (getting his private practice started) and o...
    1 year ago
  • Northern Lights Handspun - I finished spinning this yarn up at the end of my Winter Break, but I’m just getting around to posting pictures now. It started out as the December 2012 Sp...
    1 year ago
  • A Lovely Year or Finishes - January - I stumbled across a Flickr group today called A Lovely Year of Finishes. Basically you post your challenge at the beginning of the month and your finish at...
    1 year ago

I Say! or at least I did once...