Friday, August 26, 2016

Block 32: Fresh Pears

My, my, my, this block did not make it easy!

First, when I opened my little fabric kit for the block, I noticed I had forgotten to cut one of the pieces--I cut one but needed two of a certain size. Ok, I thought I'll just sew what I can and cut it out later.

Second, I had a note that I could use a second brown fabric for the stems. My kit had two pieces of the same fabric because that's all I had when I was cutting it out. I knew I had some more now and wanted the variety. Plus one of the greens for the leaves was mostly white, not green so I wanted to switch that out too. A couple more pieces to cut out.

Third, I noticed one of the larger pieces had a cut in from the edge that extended too far to be hidden in the seam. (It was one of those cuts you get from overcutting because you can't stop the rotary cutter exactly at the end of the ruler.) So that's another piece I had to cut out later.

Fourth, in an attempt to keep the pattern on the fabric running the same direction, I sewed the little corner squares and bigger corners squares on the wrong corners and ended up with a pear bottom that was wider and shorter instead of thinner and taller. That's five more pieces I had to cut out....

I think that was the point at which I stopped sewing for the day. It was a lot piling up!
Another day I was up for hauling out the box of fabrics for this quilt and doing some cutting. Once I had all the pieces replaced, I sat down with the pattern again and just started at the beginning. If I had a section already sewn together, great. If it wasn't, then I got it done. I managed not to repeat any mistakes and got my block together! :)
I am reminded now that I am looking at it again that I still have to embroider the seeds on the cut pear, but that will be easy to do anytime I'm in the mood.

Here are all the blocks together:
________________________________
Here is Kim's block, a 12-inch for her this week:
I had mine done when we saw each other a couple weeks ago, but she did not. So after we were home and she was finished, we Skyped so she could show me her lovely block. (Love those fabrics.)

And then she proceeded to tell me a tale of making this block that involved discovering she had not cut enough pieces, sewing the corners on to the wrong part of the leaves (she ended up making five leaves before she had two that would work) and losing pieces that she only found after she had cut replacements....It's spooky how similar our experiences were!

But in the end, two good blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...