Saturday, May 16, 2015

Quilt Top

I finished the last seam in my orange and grey zig zag quilt top this morning. I was glad to be done that stage since it is necessary to get to the next stage, (repeat last step as many times as necessary) to get the quilt done.

But then I threw it on my bed so I could make sure I didn't get mixed up by the diagonal seams and did actually end up with a rectangle.
And then I got excited to have finished the last seam in the quilt top. It happens every single time: I am amazed at what a difference it makes to have all the seams sewn as opposed to loose pieces on a design wall (or curtain as the case may be). I love this top. I still love that with straight seams and no triangles, you get wonderful zig zags.

I don't know how well you can see it (maybe at the bottom), but I have left all the edges "sawtooth" and did not cut them straight. I'm not going to put a border on the quilt and I'm going to layer the top like it is with the backing and batting. I'll cut it all straight after all of the quilting is done. That way I won't have any cut bias edges that can stretch and distort.

And speaking of the backing, I have no idea what I'm going to do! I'm not sure I have enough leftover fabric to piece together a back. My preference would be to have several large pieces I can put together, but I used a lot of fat quarters for this quilt. I'm going to have to dig out the "extras" box and see what I have.

Otherwise it will be a trip to the fabric store. I'll look through the extra-wide backing fabrics first to see if there's anything that will do but somehow I doubt they're going to have a lot of orange options. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...