My, my, my, this block did not make it easy!
First, when I opened my little fabric kit for the block, I noticed I had forgotten to cut one of the pieces--I cut one but needed two of a certain size. Ok, I thought I'll just sew what I can and cut it out later.
Second, I had a note that I could use a second brown fabric for the stems. My kit had two pieces of the same fabric because that's all I had when I was cutting it out. I knew I had some more now and wanted the variety. Plus one of the greens for the leaves was mostly white, not green so I wanted to switch that out too. A couple more pieces to cut out.
Third, I noticed one of the larger pieces had a cut in from the edge that extended too far to be hidden in the seam. (It was one of those cuts you get from overcutting because you can't stop the rotary cutter exactly at the end of the ruler.) So that's another piece I had to cut out later.
Fourth, in an attempt to keep the pattern on the fabric running the same direction, I sewed the little corner squares and bigger corners squares on the wrong corners and ended up with a pear bottom that was wider and shorter instead of thinner and taller. That's five more pieces I had to cut out....
I think that was the point at which I stopped sewing for the day. It was a lot piling up!
Here are all the blocks together:
Here is Kim's block, a 12-inch for her this week:
And then she proceeded to tell me a tale of making this block that involved discovering she had not cut enough pieces, sewing the corners on to the wrong part of the leaves (she ended up making five leaves before she had two that would work) and losing pieces that she only found after she had cut replacements....It's spooky how similar our experiences were!
But in the end, two good blocks.
Otis and his TAW quilt top......... - Here is my 86 year old friend Otis with his finished Trip Around the World quilt top. It is 78" x 98" and you can see by his smile that he is very please...
3 hours ago