With a bunch of orange wool blend facing me after ripping apart a sweater in a fit of I-don't-want-to-wait-a-minute-longer, I looked for a suitable sock pattern.
What could be better for bright Dutch orange than socks with a tulip pattern? Nothing, of course.
Obviously I am still carrying my trip to the Netherlands last June with me. And why would I fight that?
After a false start making these toe up, I ripped them out and started from the top. The chart kept me on my toes. It's a 24-row repeat with an independent lace panel on each side.
But totally worth it because you end up with these lovely tulips running up the centre front of your sock.
After finishing the leg, I knit the back stitches for 24 rows to make a heel flap followed by a short-row heel:
Then I picked up 12 stitches on both sides of the flap and starting knitting all the way around again. I decreased the extra stitches, one on each side every third row instead of every other row to make a longer gusset.
Once the gusset was decreased, I knit straight on to the toes. I thought I had room for one more "loop de loop" in the tulip pattern but I probably should have skipped it. By the time that was done, I didn't have much room for the toe. I decreased the stitches in fewer rows than normal and ended with more stitches to. This yielded a much more rounded toe.
I did the decreases different on this pair, just for something to try. Instead of lining up the K2togs and the SSKs so that a strong line appears on the decrease line, I reversed their positions and got an essentially invisible decrease. There's just a slight line between the front and back stitches.
Besides the length of the foot being just a bit long (there's no extra length, really; the socks just don't have to stretch to fit), these are definitely one of the best fitting socks I have. I am really loving the heel flap with short-row heel and the longer gusset really helps relieves some of the tightness over the top of my foot. I think my foot is pretty narrow, but it definitely needs more room around the foot, just in front of the leg. Maybe it's the high arches. I don't know, but I'm really happy to have found something that works.
The yarn I used is only 40% merino and I'm hoping it will be not quite as warm (even though it also has 20% angora and 10% cashmere). With the sock's short length, I think they will be good for spring and fall season. So far it is working out that way!
Started: 2 Jan '15 Finished: 25 Apr '15 Pattern: Tulpen by Stephanie van der Linden (free) Materials: 40% merino/30% viscose/20% angora/10% cashmere mix from an Express sweater (78 g), held double
Here's one more look--some slip of the finger or misuse of the timer produced this picture, but I think it is kind of neat anyway.