That was January 26. By January 31, I had made the decision and started ripping it apart.
Then to help the pieces get rid of their very well-pressed seams, I soaked them in water and let them dry:
And then the pieces sat and sat and sat and waited for me. Apparently waited until I finally felt the looming deadline of the Fair. I started putting this back together about a week ago and concentrated so hard on it that I didn't take any pictures.
I assembled the whole thing and it measured (close enough to) 12.5"--the needed dimension. But the edges were very ruffly meaning the outside rows were too long. I took out the center light coloured rectangle from each outside row because that's where the problem seemed to be and sewed it back in with a larger seam. This helped a lot and my square ended up like this:
Since I made this block three times and made a fourth out of my practice fabrics, I figure I have enough for a wagon now!
I am still proud of the back and how good the pattern of seams looks. (How you press your seams is a very big deal in quilting.)
One thing is for sure, I will be putting a suggestion in the suggestion box to use some bright modern fabrics one of these years. It would be a nice change!