Monday, March 10, 2014

Little Sister's Dress

I finished another project!
Isn't this the cutest little dress ever!!
It's knit top-down and starts with some alternating bands of stocking stitch and reverse stocking stitch.
The simple stocking stitch skirt was just begging for a little embellishing.
I free-handed a flower and stem on there.
I tried to do a chain stitch with a crochet hook, but it was nearly impossible. Especially since I was using raveled yarn and it was very splitty. After a few tries, it finally occurred to me that I didn't have to do it with a crochet hook. I found my blunt needle and did an embroidered chain stitch. This was definitely one case where a twisted yarn would have been much better. Not just for ease of working with it, but it would have looked better too. Now I know.

When I crocheted around the top opening, I added a little loop for a button and the last thing I did was sew on a little button:
When I sewed it on, I anchored it with a button on the back. I chose a nice smooth one so it wouldn't be scratchy or pokey. It serves as a cushion for the shaft from the top button so it won't poke either.
I followed the directions for the 6 month size but with this yarn and gauge, it came out closer to the 18 month size. But the versatility of this design means it can be worn as a dress as soon as it fits, then worn as a tunic and then a shirt as baby grows taller. As long as the neck fits, it should be good.

One more look? Sure...
Project Stats
Started
: 15 Feb '14
Finished: 3 Mar '14
Pattern: Little sister's dress (Kjole til lillesøster) by Tora Frøseth Design
Materials: 73 grams cotton (~DK weight) from a Jeanne Pierre sweater ($5.00) and a little bit of mustard-coloured raveled cotton


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...