Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

The big day has arrived. I'm glad when Christmas falls on a Sunday because I grew up going to church on Christmas morning and my current church doesn't have services on Christmas morning...except when it's a Sunday. It doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't go to church first thing.

You may recall that I made a cover for our communion table to be used throughout advent.


When we last saw it, it looked something like this:

Each week of advent, another piece was added.

This morning, not only was the final center piece added, but they were all turned around to reveal an appliqued star:

I had to work to make it big enough to make an impact from the front of the sanctuary, but I think it came out ok.

For those of you who want the details, I applied the star with Steam-a-Seam double-sided fusible adhesive and then zig zagged the edges with a variegated rayon thread. (I used purple in the bobbin so the sewing isn't very obvious from the plain side.)
I didn't want to "outline" the edges of the strips so I left them raw. I thought zig zagging there would be too distracting as it goes up the middle of a ray. If the edges start to ravel, I can always zig zag them later.
Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope you have a good day.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that you had made this for our church. It is beautiful. We need to give you some credit for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary. I'm glad you appreciate it. I certainly do not need credit for it. (Well, besides bragging on my own blog...hee hee.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...