Sunday, July 12, 2009

Red Purl KAL Afghan: July

The day has arrived: the July meeting for the Red Purl Afghan Knit-along! And so I may reveal my block...
I call it Snakes and Ladders ("Chutes and Ladders" for the Americans among my readers).

The stitch I made up for it -- not that I will claim it's definitely unique, but I did invent or discover it on my own -- the Wrap3, creates the rungs of the ladders. A simple column of seed stitch makes up the "snakes" (or "chutes"), albeit in a very minimalist form.

The pattern seemed to be well-received, and most importantly Wendy gave me her stamp of approval. People seemed to agree that it looked nice and that it was a relaxing knit good for a summer afternoon.

We still are getting new members, but some others must be dropping off because the groups are a little smaller these months. This could also be due to summer time, I'm sure. We still had at least a dozen knitters gathered for the afternoon and more dropping to have a look. It was a good afternoon.

Now that we are half way through the Year of the Afghan, I thought it might be a good time to review all the other blocks that have already been made:
I still have no idea how I am going to arrange the blocks. (What will go where, I mean; obviously it will be 3 x 4 grid.) I am going to add some sort of sashing between the blocks--I haven't decided if it will be knit or crochet. (Crochet being faster but sucking up 3 times as much yarn!)

Today I picked out this semi-solid color called Red Mahogany to surround the blocks, and the outside edge. I think the dark colour will let the bright colours pop.

The way the knit-along is set up, you make December's block in one week and then sew them all together the next week. I am not going to be able to do all that edging in one week, especially in December! (Like that's not already the busiest time of the year.) So I will have to make some decisions and start putting an edge on the finished blocks.

All for now!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I would have thought to knit them individually, binding them each off instead of making the continuous strips of four blocks (or is it three?) each. (Can you tell I'm a little behind?) It would have made the project better in the portability of it! I'll stash this idea for next year!! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...