Sunday, January 10, 2021

A Christmas Gift

I made exactly one Christmas gift this year. I was spending Christmas day with one of my sisters and she had told me about looking for a case for her circular needles. So the week before Christmas, I looked for a pattern and found one that looked like it would work. (This one from BumpyCrafts on Etsy.)


I went through my fabrics and pulled out some fat quarters I thought my sister would like and would go together.
They might not meet everyone's definition of "go together" but I liked the common oranges, purples and greens.

Following the pattern, I made several "pages" with pockets for the needles.
I spent a lot of effort to make sure the orange circles lined up across the pages, only to realize later that the large pocket on top makes it considerably less important.

I deliberately rounded the corners of the pages as well. You can never get a truly crisp square corner, so I traced the curve of a spool I had beside the machine to make the curves consistent.
The needles simply slide into the pockets.
I thought about making a place where she could write the needle size on the pocket but didn't do the work to make that happen. As an alternative, she can slide a card with the information into the pocket if she wants.
The pattern has instructions for a snap closure, but I used a button and elastic. (Something I had on hand.)
I stacked two buttons on top of each other. The smaller one underneath makes room for the elastic to nest comfortably under the big button.
Using a button with a shank would have worked too but I didn't have one I liked for this project.

As I sewed on the buttons, I went through a smaller button on the back to keep the stitches from ripping through the fabric and because I thought it was a neater finish than the thread by itself.
Here's a top view where you can see the different pages:
The pattern called for a flannel lining to give more structure, but I used cotton batting scraps that I had on hand.

A finishing detail I added was some quilting on the cover before I assembled the pages.
Just a few highlights around the flower petals.

It was a fun project to make in a day or two. I hope it functions well.


1 comment:

  1. What a thoughtful gift for your sister and with so much attention to detail poured in!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...