Thursday, March 1, 2018

TBT Christmas Table Topper

Remember this project? I wrote about it last November. I did get it done in time for Christmas.

Although I started it for myself, somewhere in the process I decided it really was perfect for the sister whose name I had for gift giving. She loves to decorate her table for a holiday.

I quilted the background in lines that echoed the shape of the stars/flowers about 3/8" apart. The first side I did on the go but the second side, I marked the turning points so that the two sides would match.

When it got to the stars/flowers, I had a few ideas. I drew out a couple on a pane of glass and took a poll on my IG feed.

A number of people voted and gave their opinions, which were all fun to read, but when this sister chimed in her preference, I was done and went with what she liked. She picked the bottom design. I made a change in the corners after this picture. Instead of another petal/leaf in the corners, I simplified it to a curve that travels to the point and then on to the other side (without crossing itself).

I bound it with a subtle red strip on cream. It could look like candy canes when you got close, but didn't detract from the center design.
Then it was time to wash it to remove the markings. I also knew it would be washed in its future life and I feel like I should do it first in case anything goes wrong.

Well, it did. The red damask I used as backing bled like crazy. It seeped to the front side where there was stitching (you know, like everywhere):
and there were areas of general red splotchiness. The binding seemed especially suseptible.
It wasn't terrible but it gave an overall pinkness to the table topper.
So I did some reading online and got a recommendation from someone I trusted to clean it with blue Dawn dish soap. So I did. And it bled like crazy and continued to do so through several washes. And the red kept depositing on the front. I have since read others who expressly say to never use blue Dawn because it will pull out more colour (and not the colour that was deposited). I think we know who's right.

So I accepted what was and gave the table topper to her anyway. She really likes pink so I sincerely thought she may even prefer it.
It is interesting to see where the red did not stick - you can see a couple of whiter squares in the background area.

I almost like the pink over all of it, except the center of the stars/flowers. I would have liked it if they stayed cream. And that it emphasizes all the seams in the background. It prevents the different fabrics from blending together.
But my sister liked it and she can wash it without fear - it can't get worse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...