|In my hand, ready to present. (I'm on the left.)|
Now that you've seen how the stole looks on, I'm going to get into some of the details of how it was made.
I talked about knitting the stole here and here. The summary is that I took a scarf pattern and knit two scarves side by side and then cut a steek up the middle to separate them. They were joined at the back with a 45 degree angle. (I knit them side by side to make the colours match.)
|Sewing along both sides of the centre stitch.|
|Cutting up the centre stitch. I did the centre|
three stitches in a P-K-P rib so the centre
stitch would be very easy to follow.
But then I found out that we were calling a new minister and she said she was interested in a stole made by me. (It's amazing how motivating a little appreciation can be!) And so I started to rethink this stole that I had knit. What if I just used it as a base? A starting point for something more...
So I thought of embroidering on top of the garter stitch scarf. More like weaving really:
cowl pattern by Franklin Habit. It ends up looking woven and I thought that might be just the thing. Plus the yarn worked through the stitches would help to stabilize the fabric. (Garter stitch is very stretchy and on top of that the weight of the stole hung along the bias.)
It would have been too much if I did the whole stole and I did just the bottom portion:
Next step was to work on the embroideries I wanted to apply. First I traced the triangle shapes they were going to fit on and then I drew several symbols (based on ideas from a Google image search):
Here are three finished designs:
Meanwhile, I had to continue finishing the body of the stole. I decided batting (my first idea) was too thick and heavy to use to stabilize the knitting. Instead, I spray basted some flannel to the back side of the knitting, trying to make the knitting as square and "straight" as possible.
|Yup, sometimes you use what you've got.|
Even when it's pigs and pink roses.
Here is a view of one end:
Next step was a little quilting to hold the layers together and give a little depth and texture. I started at the bottom of each side and went up to the centre back by following the zig zag path of the lines between the triangles.
I did one more patch based on a celtic design to represent the Trinity.
To make it into a patch, I trimmed a wide margin of the base fabric and then turned it to the back side with the help of an iron. I basted it in place and then hand stitched muslin to the back along all the edges:
The original plan was to have the Trinity sign on one side and the three symbols of the persons of the Trinity on the other, but when I "dry fit" it, it was way too much going on. So I decided to finish the one patch and pin it on. I'll finish the other three and then they can be changed depending on the season. (They can also be easily removed when the stole needs to be laundered.)
One last view of her wearing the stole as she ends the service with a blessing: