Sunday, February 1, 2015

Taking Your Knitting With You

I spent most of this weekend at my sister's celebrating her "big" birthday. (Ok, I'll tell you--it was 50.) We had a very fun time of it and I still had time for a little knitting.

I worked on the second pair of striped socks I made from my Lorna's Laces leftovers. I finished the first sock before going, so the second one was just a matter of matching stripes. I took it along to homecoming at my nephew's high school:
He was playing in the pep band. He spent his spare time trying to avoid his mother and her four sisters!

By the end of the night I had the second one done and all the ends worked in--no small feat!
The socks are 6.75" and I used up all the leftovers except the red. It worked out pretty well.

Now don't you fret--I had brought more yarn so I could start the next pair!
This was a beautiful wool I raveled from a sweater some time ago. I just did the two sleeves because I used the front and back for pillows. I thought the sleeves would be just right for socks. For Wool-Aid, I am working with the yarn doubled.

I decided to do a broken rib on this pair, just for something a little different:
I worked on this during our breaks between activities on Saturday, and also while waiting for my sister to get some necessities like ice cream...
By the time I left, I had the gusset done and most of the heel:
The wool is wonderful to work with and has quite a tight twist which should make it more durable. Once the heel is done, I'll continue the broken rib all around the leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recently

May I suggest?

  • Check Out Colorado - Congratulations to Sharon for winning at Ruth’s Stitchery, Colorado Springs, Colorado. And what an interesting shape your quilt has taken! Love the hiker...
    12 hours ago
  • Teeny tiny............. - One of the waste areas after cutting the Hunter Star blocks was large enough to cut 1" finished triangles. Since there were 4 alike of each fabric I deci...
    20 hours ago
  • I Got a Mouthguard: Clearly I Am Cool. - Pop Quiz No. 1: Q: Two weeks ago, I went to the dentist to get a filling repaired. How did I break a filling? A: Because I chomped ice cubes for like t...
    2 days ago
  • Yarn of Mystery - [image: franklin habit]Who are you? You’re in the bin clearly marked LACE WEIGHT. You are as close to being lace weight as I am to being an international...
    3 days ago
  • Rest - I have been taking a few days off. Well, I’ve been sort of taking a few days off – I think they only feel like days off because I’m not riding really far, ...
    1 week ago
  • Backstrap Weaving – In the Bush - At the loom and in the bush…what a perfect mix of activities. Hiking! This used to be so much a part of my life and something I have been neglecting since ...
    2 weeks ago
  • Impressing the Parents…the Thrifty Way! - For those you who have been commenting for the last couple of years or so that you’d like to see a nice young man in [...]
    2 weeks ago
  • Beach (and Ferry) Knitting - This past spring NYC began running ferries from Manhattan to locations all over Brooklyn and Queens. (An Astoria line is scheduled to start running later...
    2 weeks ago
  • Winner - The winner of WALK is Rachel Singh. Rachel, please contact me (jacquietps at gmail.com) by Saturday, July 29 to claim your book. Congratulations!!
    3 weeks ago
  • Ahoy - You may have thought I forgot about this blog altogether or maybe I dropped off the face of the planet.. but I assure you. I am still here! Still knittin...
    1 month ago
  • Koigu Love - *J’aime toutes les laines Merino conçues pour les chaussettes, mais c’est confirmé: j’ai un faible particulier pour Koigu. Et ce n’est pas que les coul...
    3 months ago
  • Corrugated ribbing tricks and tips - Corrugated ribbing looks like a very fancy kind of ribbing and it's knitted like a fancy kind of ribbing, but doesn't act much like a ribbing at all. Front...
    8 months ago

I Say! or at least I did once...