Saturday, September 20, 2014

Excitement is Starting a New Project!

I've been collecting up a group of yarns for a while now. A couple of years at least. I don't remember what got me started. Maybe just an excuse to buy yarns? I don't really think so, but wouldn't dare to say that I completely understand the mysterious workings of my own mind. :) The group certainly isn't in colours that I usually wear so it's hard to imagine how I got started.

This is the collection I pulled out last night:
I'll be using them from left to right. Some will be held together to make weight and to blend the colours. The bright yellow and green are Malabrigo that I had and threw in with the rest recently. Same with the yellow in the bag--that's some yarn I got at Squam.

Somehow I got the idea to make something from multiple yarns in different weights and types. Just mix it up in wide stripes of all these different yarns. The shape would have to be simple. I thought about a big rectangle folded in half with a neckhole and straight side seams. One thing holding me back was making a decision about what to actually do with it and the other was the thought of designing something--extra work and extra risk.

Then I saw this pattern:
It's another design by Stephen West who also designed the Mesa I did earlier this year. When I saw it, I right away thought of this yarn I have. I've been debating since the spring because I wasn't sure that I needed a big bulky turtleneck, but now that cooler weather is here it's not hard to imagine wearing it!!

I started swatching last night:
I really like the mix of colours--I'm knitting with all three of these yarns (two strands of the green lace). The resulting colour is nicer than any one of them.

That went so well (and quickly) that I cast on the sweater! Between last night and today I got the turtleneck done and have started the yoke increases, and the second colour. I'm using that little bit of my first handspun that I did during the Olympics.

This project has me just a little bit obsessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recently

May I suggest?

  • Friend's quilt........... - Here is my friend's completed quilt top. We put the blocks for the second quilt on the design walls after I took this photo. The original pattern called...
    7 hours ago
  • School’s Coming! School’s Coming! - School’s starting in two weeks and I am so excited I am vibrating. Yes, I’m halfway through my graduate program at the School of the Art Institute of C...
    11 hours ago
  • Check Out Colorado - Congratulations to Sharon for winning at Ruth’s Stitchery, Colorado Springs, Colorado. And what an interesting shape your quilt has taken! Love the hiker...
    1 day ago
  • Yarn of Mystery - [image: franklin habit]Who are you? You’re in the bin clearly marked LACE WEIGHT. You are as close to being lace weight as I am to being an international...
    5 days ago
  • Rest - I have been taking a few days off. Well, I’ve been sort of taking a few days off – I think they only feel like days off because I’m not riding really far, ...
    1 week ago
  • Backstrap Weaving – In the Bush - At the loom and in the bush…what a perfect mix of activities. Hiking! This used to be so much a part of my life and something I have been neglecting since ...
    2 weeks ago
  • Impressing the Parents…the Thrifty Way! - For those you who have been commenting for the last couple of years or so that you’d like to see a nice young man in [...]
    2 weeks ago
  • Beach (and Ferry) Knitting - This past spring NYC began running ferries from Manhattan to locations all over Brooklyn and Queens. (An Astoria line is scheduled to start running later...
    2 weeks ago
  • Winner - The winner of WALK is Rachel Singh. Rachel, please contact me (jacquietps at gmail.com) by Saturday, July 29 to claim your book. Congratulations!!
    3 weeks ago
  • Ahoy - You may have thought I forgot about this blog altogether or maybe I dropped off the face of the planet.. but I assure you. I am still here! Still knittin...
    1 month ago
  • Koigu Love - *J’aime toutes les laines Merino conçues pour les chaussettes, mais c’est confirmé: j’ai un faible particulier pour Koigu. Et ce n’est pas que les coul...
    3 months ago
  • Corrugated ribbing tricks and tips - Corrugated ribbing looks like a very fancy kind of ribbing and it's knitted like a fancy kind of ribbing, but doesn't act much like a ribbing at all. Front...
    8 months ago

I Say! or at least I did once...