I had been given plenty of notice about when it was happening, but of course didn't really think about it until it was less than a week away...Ah! what to make??
I went my standby gift (bibs-can you ever have too many?) and to my standby pattern. The first new mother I gave it to said she loved them and I have trusted her word and made them for a number of babies since.
It is a sewing pattern that calls for a front and a facing (the back) joined with binding around the edges. I really don't think two layers of cotton are going to much good against a baby armed with food so I've always added a layer of batting in between. This, of course, gives opportunity for quilting!
My first free motion quilting was on bibs for another friend:
This time, since they are expecting a boy, I decided to use up some of the blue leftovers I had from my mini crossed canoes quilt. First I cut out the back and then laid it on a piece of scrap batting:
Once all the strips are sewed down, you just have to trim off all the excess:
|From the back|
|From the front, after trimming.|
From the back you can see the quilting lines
You can see on the left bib that I decided to change it up from straight stripes. (On some level, I must get bored easily.) But since I was on a bit of a deadline, and not interested in adding too much more sewing, I did it a cheater way.
When I was ready to add some orange, I cut the blue strip and laid it out with the raw edges folded back: