After taking some time to think and write what feelings and intentions our book was going to be about, she had us start on the cover. First step was to lay gesso over the whole thing since I wasn't keeping any part of it.
|Progress at lunch time. Everything was left to dry|
in preparation for the afternoon.
In the afternoon, Colleen showed us how to get started on the inside pages.
Here are some pictures of my pages by the end of the class. Most are still in progress. Colleen's process involves a lot of layers so it takes some time!
Here is a page in the early stages. A strip of paper is sewn to the edge of the page. The page is treated with gesso and then "distressing" ink:
Included with the supplies we could use was a large map that included both the area where I grew up and the area where I live now.
And here's another little piece I assembled but haven't placed anywhere:
Here's the back inside cover where I added some brick texture and the word I got from Colleen. It's cut from cardboard that would have gone to the landfill.
I'm not sure how I'll be able to continue working on this at home. I don't have the supplies and feel like I don't have the space to spread out like I want. But supplies I can buy and perhaps I can just work on one page or one part at a time. We'll see.