I did a Google search and based my project on this tutorial. She made hers from tea towels but I have enough fabric that I didn't need to do that. A quick search of a box of quilting cotton yielded some that would work. (And I mean quick. Nothing like browsing through all of your fabric options to make a quick project take all day! :) I found myself a green and yellow that more or less coordinated. And then, since I may not have noticed a notch missing from the corner of the yellow, I added a red band.
Here I have cut out the pieces and already added the zipper:
Then I folded it over with right sides together and sewed the sides shut. (Making sure the zipper was open so that I could flip it inside out.)
And here is the final pouch:
Remember this ball of yarn that I died in February? I dyed it with this trip in mind.
I had the brainstorm to do the cast on over the cable needle instead of waste yarn. Picking up the stitches off of the waste yarn is my least favourite (and most time consuming) part and in one fell swoop I eliminated it. Yeah me! (I know...not exactly genius work but I'm glad I thought of it.)
I then knit the short-row toe on dpns while the cable needle just held the stitches in waiting. Instead of using two dpns for each sock, I used the same needle for the two sides of the socks that faced each other, like so:
|Stitches marked by purple are what were left by the short|
rows. The orange stitches are the ones that are being knit.
The middle needle is used to knit both sets of orange
stitches and hold the purple stitches.