My first thought was to turn the skirt upside down and just sew the waist shut to make the bag, but I decided I didn't want the top wider than the bottom.
So I sewed the hem shut. I did no deconstruction, figuring the bulk of the hem would just add strength and structure to the bottom. I just butted the two edges together and zig zagged the seam.
I wanted to gusset the bottom corners so the bag would have shape to it. I turned the bag inside out and folded it so that the bottom seam and side seam matched up and formed 45 degree angles with the folds:
Then it was time to think about a strap. I've had this belt for a number of years:
|For this picture, I inserted a rod just inside|
the top so that the purse wouldn't sag and gap.