Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lace Tunic: Finished

In early September I finished the main knitting on my Lace Tunic. The back had already been blocked (I was testing to make sure it would block to size before I invested time in the front) so I only had to lay out the front and side pieces after they had a good soak.
I had to pull pretty hard, but everything was made to match the measurements in the schematics. The pulling just opened up the lace and netting more.

Once they were dry and I had some time, I started seaming the pieces. The squares are turned on point and inserted into the seam at the lower edge of the front and back. Then you seam the front and back together above.
That is a wicked-good looking seam, if I do say so myself.

Next I was supposed to seam the shoulder seams so that the armholes and neck could be trimmed in the round. But I didn't feel like working in the round. (The length is just the right length to be annoying: too long for magic loop and too short to work in one loop. And I didn't feel like working with two cable needles.)

So instead, I knit the armhole trim in the flat,
and then seamed one shoulder seam so that I could knit the neck trim in the flat:
Then I seamed the last shoulder. All the trim was knit in garter stitch so the seams were very easy to hide.

And then that was it; it was done!
I'm still deciding on the length--whether it's just right or a little short. I feel like the body could be a little longer, but I don't want the side pieces to come down below my knees. So I guess I'm saying it's good.

I love the cotton for this pattern. When I first bought the sweater to ravel, I just thought it would be a nice light neutral and had no idea what I would do with it. (I don't use much cotton besides for dish cloths, so who knows what I was thinking!!) But it's easy to wear and just right for an extra layer. It feels good on.
It was an interesting lace pattern. The stitch count is not consistent throughout the repeat. I also didn't do it exactly like the pattern, but followed a modification by KnittingAmazon on Ravelry. I didn't compare the two too carefully, but I believe the modification made the pattern more symmetric.

The lace morphs into a much simpler pattern for the shoulder straps and back yoke. It's a bit of a cop out, but I can understand why the designer did it. Such a big open lace on the shoulder straps wouldn't be stable enough and would be very difficult (tedious) to write out for different sizes.

I am very happy with how my neck trim came out. The cast off is just right; not too tight, not too loose. I also worked carefully to leave no holes along the pick up line and to pull in the lace in the center front so it looked good.
The hemline is a nice scallop. It's starting to roll already (as stocking stitch does), but not too badly.
I still think the side inserts are a clever way to get a bias hem line with straight pieces.
If I get tired of them one day, I could easily remove them and just wear the garment as a tunic with side slits.
But for now I have to watch my hands. I catch myself doing this as I walk around
and that is not a good look!

Project Stats
Started
: 23 Jun '13
Finished: 14 Sep '13
Pattern: Open Eye Tunic by Deborah Helmke (magazine it was in was $6.99)
Materials: 263 grams of cotton from a Croft & Barrow Sweater ($1.25)

No comments:

Post a Comment

May I suggest?

  • Eating out......... - We ate at a really nice restaurant for my daughter's wedding anniversary. It is the first time I have had a fancy chef decorated plate. It was delicious...
    7 hours ago
  • Mountainside - I am so happy to finally release my newest hat design, *Mountainside*! [image: Mountainside Collage 2.jpg] As I mentioned previously, this repeating stit...
    2 days ago
  • Postcards - A few weeks ago, friends of ours (we’re having them sainted later this week) offered us use of their cottage up North. We’re not idiots, so we jumped at th...
    3 days ago
  • Backstrap Weaving – Taking Stock - As I get ready to hit the road once again…how these seven weeks at home and back at my loom have flown!!…I always find it useful and somehow necessary to s...
    4 weeks ago
  • Exciting Announcement - I'm excited to announce my first Kansas City based event, Composing with Line. I'll be working with a small group of students to explore designing with ...
    1 month ago
  • POP QUIZ!!! (See You Next Week!) - Pop Quiz! 1. What has Mary put off for a long time? a) revenge, served cold b) that library fine c) website maintenance d) all of the above e) B and C...
    3 months ago
  • A Quilter’s Designs for Row by Row Quilts - Renee Bruess has collected many, many rows in the past few years. Her creative layouts and beautiful quilting have turned into some beautiful quilts. 1) De...
    5 months ago
  • Thrift Stalking - I take thrifting very seriously. If thrifting were an olympic sport, I would win the gold medal every time. Thrifting is not a game. Thrifting [...]
    6 months ago
  • Getting Sidetracked by Chunky Yarn - Last week I had one of those moments when I had to drop everything and start a new project. It wasn’t that I had a quick gift to make, or a pattern deadl...
    6 months ago
  • Oh Bébé! - *It's pretty obvious that my projects have had a common baby theme lately, and honestly it’s been absolutely delightful. As usual I planned for many mor...
    6 months ago
  • Corrugated ribbing tricks and tips - Corrugated ribbing looks like a very fancy kind of ribbing and it's knitted like a fancy kind of ribbing, but doesn't act much like a ribbing at all. Front...
    1 year ago

I Say! or at least I did once...