Sunday, March 6, 2011

Boot Cuff Socks

said I was close to done, and sure enough I was!

Friday evening and Saturday were spent at a retreat where I could do a lot of knitting. This project was still the right size and simplicity that I could do it with no problems.

I was glad when the speaker sat down beside me and introduced himself before we got started, and I had a chance to say that I hoped my knitting wouldn't offend him. No, no, he said. His wife is a knitter and he knows it helps her to be able to settle down and listen. He assumed it was the same for me. Very good!

By the end of the session on Saturday afternoon, I had the full length of the body knit and had prepared for the tubular cast off by knitting two rounds of "double knitting" (knitting the knit stitches of the 1x1 ribbing as the front layer and knitting the purl stitches as the back layer), and then literally separating the layers and putting them onto separate needles:
So you can see each "side" of the sock has two sets of stitches now. The next step is to Kitchener them together so they make a continuous tube. Here,
I am about half way around. The stitches on the right side of the picture have been "cast off" and I'm still making my way around to the stitches on the left. although the method does take more time, it is just so slick and perfectly functional that I'm going to have to consider how I can work it into everything I knit that needs a stretchy bind off.

Here is the final product:
The left 2 inches or so is that 1x1 cuff and the rest is 2x2 ribbing. There is a very smooth transition from the 2x2 to the 1x1 ribbing because I rearranged the knit stitches with twists (2-stitch cables) instead of just starting K1 P1 across a new round. After switching to smaller needles, I K1, left twist, P1 for one round. That set up all the stitches in a 1x1 rib for me.

I think you can see it here:
On the left, the knitting is stretched out so you can see the stitches better. In pair #1, the knit [red] and purl [green] stitches just continue as they were. In pair #2, the left twist reverses the order of the knit and purl stitches, with the knit stitch on top. Project Stats
Started
: 13 Feb '11
Finished: 5 Mar '11
Pattern: personal design
Materials: Sandy's Crazy Quilt 2-ply, 124 grams, $31.50
(I do this by letting the knit stitch off the left needle and leaving it to the front, slipping the next stitch to the right needle, picking up the knit stitch with the left needle and slipping the purl stitch from the right needle back to the left needle. Now purl 1 and knit 1. I should also note that since my 2x2 ribbing starts with a K2, I started this round with the knit stitch of pair #1, not the purl.)

On the right, for comparison, the knitting is relaxed and you can hardly see the shift from 2x2 ribbing to 1x1 ribbing.

I had the foresight to weigh the ball before I got started and it weighed 124 grams. After the first sock, I had 64 grams left. Should be plenty for the next one right? (After all, that means I used 60 for the first one, and had more than 60 left for the second one.)

At some point during the retreat I noticed that it was going to be very, very close. This is how much I had left when I was done:
Phew!! I had a plan if I ran out by a little, but I was very glad to have enough!

I wore the boot socks out today and was very happy with them.

Here's a little peek of how long they are and how they fit into my boots:
If tomorrow's cold enough (as if it won't be) then I'll wear them as leg warmers and see how I like them like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recently

May I suggest?

  • Randomly on a Thursday - 1. My internet keeps going on and off, probably because my neighbours are still renovating. At least I hope that’s what’s happening. I’ve lost this post t...
    4 hours ago
  • All of the pieces on the wall......... - I spent the whole morning yesterday finishing the orange and turquoise sections, pressing the part that is pieced (the half on the left) and sorting and p...
    13 hours ago
  • Wool People 7 - It feels like spring has been such a long time coming here in the Northeast. Late April has finally begun rewarding us with warmer, lighter days as the lon...
    2 days ago
  • monday's musing - “You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.” - unknown This is something for me to work on every day. I consisten...
    2 days ago
  • Can of Worms (Rebroadcast) - 21 April 2014 - What do you call a guy with a bald pate? A chrome dome? Maybe the lucky fellow is sporting a solar panel for a sex machine. Also, which would you rather ...
    4 days ago
  • Miniature Entry: On the Loss of a Great Writer - I wish I had something poetic to say about the wonderful Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, who has just died; but I don't. Instead, I can tell you that in my freshm...
    6 days ago
  • The Lie and the Truth About Marriage - The Way We’re Told It Goes: Meet The One Fall In BUTTERFLY Love, Have all the Feelings Date, Accept Proposal Have a Wedding: AKA YOU’VE CROSSED THE FINISH ...
    1 week ago
  • My New Class is Live - My new class on Craftsy is live today. Use this link to get $10 off! It's all about the quilting with the walking foot. I'd had fun filming it and I hop...
    1 week ago
  • Backstrap Weaving – Scattered Drops in the Ocean - Sometimes I am fooled into thinking that just because I am in several online weaving groups, whose forums I read, contribute to, or simply lurk in on a fai...
    1 week ago
  • Basic Baby Cardigan - When I received this beautiful yarn in the mail, it was love at first sight. I don't normally choose blue, but I am currently so drawn to this dusky gray...
    2 weeks ago
  • Episode 121 – The Fish Will Protect Your Virtue - In this episode, Deboarah talks about her recent visit to Ontario and her Ravellenic projects, and Melanie visits (once again) with the team at Anzula Yarn...
    2 weeks ago
  • Live United Halter Top - As most of you know, late last year I made a big career change from being the Grants Manager at the SC Arts Commission, to working in Community Impact at U...
    2 weeks ago
  • Saranac - My new pattern, Saranac is a crescent shaped shawl that is perfect for handspun or hand-dyed yarns. The construction -- with a long, peaked border that is wo...
    3 weeks ago
  • Finished! - I finished a fairly quick crochet cardigan for myself last night. There are things I like about it and things that are "okay". My initial intention was t...
    4 weeks ago
  • A faster, easier way to tink - Unraveling, tinking, ripping-out, frogging*: these are all names for un-knitting already-knit fabric, and there is a range of methods for doing it, from sl...
    4 weeks ago
  • Saturday Sketches - The need to doodle snuck up on me this week. I felt like drawing while at work and started sketching on yellow post-its every now and then, ridiculous nons...
    4 weeks ago
  • お知らせ&セルブーのミトン - **お知らせ**以前ちらっと予告しました、花模様の編み込みミトン&帽子、そしてモヘアのスヌードのキットが神戸のステキな毛糸屋さんFynさんよりリリースされました!企画を頂いてから今日まで、Fynさんの心のこもったサポートを受けつつ、少しずつ形にしていきました。もしよかったらチェックしてみてくださいね。 キットに...
    1 month ago
  • Six-Mammal Family - Since buying our house in May, we've accumulated some new family members. In fact, our family has grown 50 percent, from a total of four mammals to the new...
    2 months ago
  • Some Links - I've been wanting to blog for a long time but circumstances have conspired against me. First DH was home a lot (getting his private practice started) and o...
    1 year ago
  • Northern Lights Handspun - I finished spinning this yarn up at the end of my Winter Break, but I’m just getting around to posting pictures now. It started out as the December 2012 Sp...
    1 year ago
  • A Lovely Year or Finishes - January - I stumbled across a Flickr group today called A Lovely Year of Finishes. Basically you post your challenge at the beginning of the month and your finish at...
    1 year ago

I Say! or at least I did once...