As I announced during my travelogue, my Pioneer Socks are done! I finally have them blocked and have taken some glamour shots...
In general, the variegated colour striped up nicely. There is one spot you can see on the right sock leg where there is a sudden change to wide stripes, but what can you do? In the end, the colours do not match my Pioneer Tshirt very closely, but I like the socks as they are.
I followed a tutorial type pattern for the sock and added the 2-stitch cables (or "twists") to match the twists on the Pioneer Tshirt. The heel is very basic. It turned out rather blocky since it has no subtle shaping or curves. It also turned out rather tall. But that's better than short! There's no pulling over the top of my ankle (opposite the heel) which is very good.
The twist pattern on the top of the foot was added to the back of the sock after the heel. If I had thought the pattern out thoroughly, I would have started the twists on the heel flap, but as it is, I just started them when the heel was done and I started knitting around the leg.
When I got to the top of the leg (near the end of my yarn supply) I switched to a 2x2 rib, arranging it so I could continue the twists on two knit stitches. Little details...I finished it off with the sewn bind off, this time giving myself enough yarn to actually finish it. (hooray)