|Spotted "in the wild." As soon as I had the last stitch|
in the binding, this quilt was on the bed!
Troy was willing and available to help me hang the quilt. Thank goodness, because there was no way I could manage this big thing on my own. My porch came with nails along the inside edge (presumably from the last person's lights or decorations) and at some point I realized they would be perfect for hanging a quilt. I use binder clips to hold the quilt. They're strong enough, but just barely. All this is to say that you can't just start at one end and clip, clip, clip. You have to hold up the weight of the quilt until you get enough clips on, etc. So all this is to say, thank you, Troy, for helping.
Of course, once I got him involved, he couldn't leave the quilt alone!
Here's a view of the quilting from the front:
But you can see the general pattern of darker blocks in the centre and lighter blocks on the outside...until you get to the last row on the right and left. That's where, after hours of placing each block just so, my sister and I threw on two more rows when I realized I had extra blocks and decided to make the quilt a rectangle!
Let's look again at the binding that I put on the quilt:
On the back, the pieced border is attached to a strip of fabric to reduce bulk and make sewing easier:
When I ran out of pieces big enough to do a section, I used smaller pieces of mostly similar reds to make nine patches for the remaining two corners. I wanted reds close enough that they would essentially read as the same colour, but with enough contrast that you could still see the nine patch. Because, you know, more nine patches.
Here is a final view of the entire quilt.
Project Stats and Facts:
- There are 255 nine patches on the front of the quilt.
- That means there are 2,295 2" squares, plus another 96 used for the binding.
- I spent 10 hours at the long arm store doing the quilting.
- The project was started in July, 2016 and finished in March, 2017. (Pretty quick for me.) I started it thinking it would be a slow project over many years. Then I got obsessed...
- Most of the blocks are hand sewn, although any with batik fabrics were done by machine.
- I worked on the quilt in two countries, at least six houses, my car, two churches and a library.
- A lot of the squares are from true scraps and leftovers, but I also purchased some 2.5" "charm packs" that appealed to me. Most of the reds were cut from my ever-added-to-and-never-used red fabrics.
- Originally referred to by the practical moniker "Red Nine Patch" because there is red fabric in every block, I changed the name to "Cardinal Nine Patch" because an early plan was that the nine patch blocks were going to be the "back drop" for a beautiful batik fabric I bought--deep red with a black cardinal design. As I worked, the nine patches took over and now I'll have to think of another project for the cardinals!