I sat down on Thursday night and went through all my buttons. They still fit into a coffee can, so not too bad of a job. I've got them sorted by colour and went through each colour, one by one. Although I was pretty sure I didn't want a green, blue or purple button, I couldn't be sure there weren't buttons in a very light shade of those colours that would work. So I looked, and sorted.
Every time I pull out my buttons, I sort them a little further. Matching buttons get put together and tied with a thread. Time consuming? Yes. Can I help myself? No.
I saved the metallic buttons for last because I thought they were my best bet. Ok, maybe that sounds backwards, but I wanted to give the other colours a chance.
There were a lot of shiny buttons so I was worried I wasn't going to find anything, but I did find a couple candidates.
From the green bag, a pair of green flowers:
They were from a previous garment and I really like them. But too green and too big for this project.
Next, some not too, too shiny metallic buttons:
Still a little too shiny for this project.
Some metallic buttons that also came from a previous garment. They have a touch of green, but not too much. The only draw back is that they are pretty heavy. I was worried they were going to be far too heavy for this lace garment, but it turns out I was wrong; they're fine.
I sewed them on to one side, and the open loops of the trim work for the buttonholes.
That's how I assume it's supposed to work. The pattern didn't really say.
Sorry to keep you waiting, but pictures of the finished garment will follow soon. I did wear it to knit group today and it got a very warm welcome!