Monday, April 1, 2013

Bias Scarf 2 (This Time it's All Mine)

Here's another little project. I finished it sometime before our trip but didn't have time to photograph it. Time, and I didn't feel up to setting up the tripod in the snow, etc. So I threw it in the suitcase and stood in front of some mountains.

This is the second time I've made this asymmetric bias scarf-ette. The first one was given away, and I had a day when I realized I intensely wanted one of my own. (I had an outfit on that it would look great with; of course, now I can't remember what the outfit was! But it will come back to me.)

The original was in a linen/cotton blend, which isn't really my cup of tea. It is a perfectly good blend, but I love my wools and silks.

Imagine my delight then, when I found the same colours (or close enough) in a wool/silk blend at Red Purl. I pounced!

I gave the scarf a light blocking:
I didn't really want to forced it to be flat and smooth--what's the point of knitting in all that texture if you're just going to torture it out of it? I did pin it to hold the edges smooth, but didn't stretch it out. And as I suspected, it's gaining more texture the further in memory the blocking gets. Which is fine with me.

Last time I modeled other ways you can wear this little scarf, but today I'll just give you the two basics, long:
If you can fix red eye with the click of a
button, where's the "shut eye" button??
and doubled:
Project Stats
Started
: 28 Dec '12
Finished: 1 Feb '13
Pattern: Rollercoaster Triangle by Birgit Schneggart
Materials: Handmaiden Fine Yarn Mini Maiden, unknown colour ($38) held double
I wore it one day on vacation and we ended up in a museum for most of an afternoon. The scarf was a little warm (yes, even I get too warm sometimes), and so I tied it around my hips like some women do. I didn't think I was one of those women, but I have to say it worked. Perhaps one day I'll even try it when I don't have a sweater and a coat to hide it. :)

Oh here...I found a picture so you can sort of see what I mean:
We're up in the Calgary Tower, standing on
the "glass" floor. It's unnerving, but fun!
With a different outfit, that might not be too bad, right? And in any case, it's easier than carrying your scarf in your pocket when you don't want to be wearing it.

For comparison, here is a shot of the first scarf in linen and cotton:
and here's the wool/silk blend:
Pretty close, right? I'm still delighted by the cool blue-greys mixed with the warm orange, and both with shots of yellow. Love. It.

And now, are we done with the vacation shots and finished projects? I think we are. :( sad faces all around

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...