You might remember it. I knit it to match my Whistler sweater.
The problem was I wanted it to be for very cold days. Blustery days. Those bad winter days when, if I'm outside, I need to feel that I am prepared and well-protected.
But this hat, despite being stranded and therefore twice as thick, didn't stop the wind. It did a lot, but not enough.
Before our trip to the Great White North, I wanted a hat to withstand it all.
Fortunately, since I knit this hat I had learned some new skills. Because at the time, my solution would have been to knit a liner--a second layer that would nest inside the one that's already there. I had a lovely gold alpaca silk blend that I thought would do nicely. But I doubted it could really stop the wind.
And then I made a Subway hat. And then made two versions for Troy, and let me tell you, felted cashmere takes no guff from winter winds. So the solution presented itself and a deadline was fast approaching.
First thing--take off the tassle by removing the safety pin holding it on:
Then cut a piece out of a felted sweater to fit:
|Note that the fabric is doubled (folded on the left side).|
Previously, I sewed the side and top seam first and inserted the lining so that the seam wouldn't show. (It was between the layers.) but I had been having trouble getting it the right size...usually too big, and then it would be too much trouble to undo it all to fix it. So this time I didn't worry about the seam, and you can see it from the inside of the hat. Too bad; so sad.
So, in this case, I sewed it to the hat along the bottom first:
Then I did a very basic whip stitch up the side and over the top to hold the two pieces together:
And presto! a lined hat: