Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Super Scarf II and Mosaic Knitting

I haven't written much about it, but I did make a second SuperBowl scarf. In fact, it looks like this scarf didn't even make it to my current projects list in the sidebar. Oops!

Well, I have been working on it on and off since early April. I saw this new pattern for a football themed scarf and couldn't resist doing a second SuperScarf.

I made the scarf one repeat shorter than the pattern called for because I was short on yarn but it is plenty long. Final dimensions were 7" by 64". I liked the pattern a lot and I hope the volunteer who gets it does too!
I filled out all the forms and hope to [finally] have the two scarves shipped off to Indianapolis this week.Project Stats
Started
: 6 Apr '11 / Finished: 29 Apr '11
Pattern: Football Mosaic Scarf by Sarah Burton (free)
Materials: Universal Yarn Classic Worsted, 651 White, 638 blue (1 ea @ $6)


One reason I wanted to make this scarf is that the pattern is made with a technique called mosaic knitting. I had never done any mosaic patterns before but have been intrigued by the look of them.

In mosaic knitting, you only ever work with one colour at a time and alternate which colour every two rows. The result is a pattern that looks like you used multiple strands when you didn't.

Here is an introduction to the technique:

This pattern starts with a row of all white stitches:
(That part's easy enough, right?)

For the next row, you knit in blue all the stitches indicated by the chart:
When you come to a stitch that is marked white, you don't knit it, but just slip it from the left needle to the right:
Then continue to knit blue stitches as indicated by the chart:
and slipping the white stitches as directed.

For the wrong side row, you're still knitting with blue and all you do is knit the blue stitches and slip the white stitches (with yarn in front):
That's the best part of Mosaic colourwork--the wrong side rows are so easy and you don't need a chart for them.

At the end of the two rows you have some blue stitches which have been knit and some white stitches that have been slipped:
As you start the next row, you are using white and simply knit the white stitches as indicated by the chart and slip the blue stitches. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

So if you've been scared of doing stranded colourwork for some reason, you may want to check out some mosaic patterns because you'll only ever have to work with one colour at a time. (But because it's a less common technique most people will still think you're a genius because they've never heard of it. Go ahead and use that to your advantage. I give you permission to do so.)

I will end with the note I included with the scarf:
Thank you for volunteering, for taking the time to make sure that things run smoothly and people have fun. The SuperBowl couldn’t happen without you!
I wish I could be there to help, but since I can’t I’m happy to contribute this scarf. I hope you like it. I hope you wear it in good cheer.
The scarf is knit in a mosaic design by Sarah Burton (not me). If you would like more information, you could snoop around my blog www.christinacreating.blogspot.com. I write about all my projects there.
When your scarf needs to be washed, it can be done by machine. I would recommend cold water and a gentle wash. Dry on low heat or lay flat to dry. The materials are 80% acrylic and 20% wool.

3 comments:

  1. I really think this needs a tutorial video. Preferably one that will get a gajillion hits. he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I considered it but I decided I didn't have time for 4,000 emails.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug! Your scarf is great and I love the tutorial!

    Sarah B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...