Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trip Project

Today I'm flying out to Des Moines for the AQS show.

I had to bring some knitting, but I was determined to pack light. Lighter than light. (I'm really trying to avoid any check in luggage, and I also have to allow for the possibility--however slight--that I might actually buy a few things while I'm there.)

That means I am restricting myself to ONE project. One. Scary.

So I'm making it a good one. Or I hope it will be a good one. I've been waiting to make these socks since the pattern came out on knitty this fall. I've had the wool since Erica's sidewalk sale this past summer. It's Nashua Handknits Wooly Stripes and should stripe up great.The pattern is the Hat-heel sock:
1 across
Instead of starting at the top (like traditional socks) or from the toe, you start at the heel and then knit the leg up from there and the foot/toe down from the other side.

Advantages as listed by the designer, Kathleen Sperling:
  1. No uncertainty about how many stitches you’ll need to cast on: because you start right at the tip of the heel and make it bigger and bigger, you start every pair of socks the same way no matter what size feet you’re making the socks for.
  2. It looks pretty nifty, once you get your head past the idea that the gussets are in an unusual place.
  3. You get the “I know I’ll have enough yarn for both socks” advantage of toe-up construction.
  4. You get the “getting the correct foot length is easier” advantage of top-down construction.
  5. You get a heel that really, truly fits.
Sounds pretty convincing, doesn't it?

The pattern isn't written for worsted weight, but I'm assuming I'll be able to figure it out. (Especially in light of #1 and #4 above.)

I've been assured by every online source I can find that knitting needles are very much allowed on domestic flights. Let's hope my security agents know that.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...